Saturday, January 15, 2011

Winter has returned



One hopes this and other gobblers make it through the winter.


A few days ago it was 40 degrees. The storm we are now experiencing began last night with strong winds and snow amounts up to 12 inches.

Earlier today the strong wind started filling up with even more snow, and the westerly blow is a tough wind in our neighborhood. It whips across open fields, and buries our driveway.

One look at it at breakfast made me realize that tomorrow morning means another two hours or more on the snow-blower. Lots of time. Lots of snow. Cold temperatures.

It’s part of living up north where lake-effect snow is measured by the feet.


Do I dislike it? No, as a matter of fact, I enjoy snow-blowing. However, the Weather Channel says there is more snow and wind snaking through Minnesota and Wisconsin and down from Canada, and the storm is supposed to continue through tomorrow.

What I dislike most is having to snow-blow during a storm. However, if I don't do it in the morning, and wait as more drifting snow blows through the Traverse City region, the drifted snow will turn into something as hard as concrete.

The other problem also means sticking the nose of the snow-blower out into the road where someone with a car or truck or speeding snowmobile could run into me. I wear some blaze orange clothing, but if the wind continues to blow hard, the visibility may make seeing anything very difficult or impossible.

It is storms like this that can wreak havoc on deer and turkey numbers.


A big, fat, apparently pregnant fox squirrel came to visit the bird feeder today. Squirrel season is still open, and I could have easily shot the bushytail, but that would be like shooting ducks on the water. I let her feed, which may be a mistake when she comes visiting next summer with her brood in tow, and I may then be sorry. However, I figured she had enough problems to cope with being out and on the prowl for food in this kind of weather. Why add to her problems?

My neighbor called and asked me to guess what he was looking  behind his house.

"Turkeys," I said.

"Nope," he said, "ducks. What are they doing in what's left of my cornfield on a day like today? Shouldn't they be somewhere near water?"

I suggested that very little open water is available now except in certain streams. And, I offered, the birds probably were out looking for food, spotted his cornfield and dropped in to see if there were any corn kernels left.

"Six ducks," he muttered, "six mallards. I can't hardly believe it."

I told him about the she-squirrel grubbing for something to eat under my bird feeder, and he agreed that the storm must be making all kinds of critters a little goofy.

The squirrel surely came from my woods or the woods across the street. The ducks probably have some little pocket of open water somewhere on Grand Traverse Bay or on one of the nearby lakes or streams.

The turkeys seem to be conspicuous by their absence this winter. I've seen just one small flock of birds, and that was several days ago but thei seen to have disappeared. They are probably keeping their heads down until the storm blows through. A few deer are moving through the snow but they aren't traveling very far.

If the storm continues tonight, stay off the roads and stay safe.


Tomorrow is another day, and with any kind of luck, we won't get buried in snow overnight. Blowing snow isn't too bad with a foot of the white stuff, but if it gets any deeper than that, even my tractor and snow-blower has to work too hard. Heavy, compacted snow is hard on a blower.

And that goes for the guy driving the thing. Stay warm and dry tomorrow, and ride out the storm. Stay home, and off the roads, and remain safe while saving gasoline.

Hopefully, if the storm continues, snowmobilers will stay off the roads and trails. It's during these near white-out conditions that snowmobile accidents can happen.

Cars, trees and parked vehicles often seem to jump out in front of a snowmobiler during a bad storm, and survival in such cases is questionable at any kind of speed. And if you must travel through the storm, carry heavy clothing, snowshoes, shovel, boots, a strong flashlight plus food and water. Two or three blankets or sleeping bags can keep you toasty warm. Get some blaze orange surveyer's tape, and tie it to your car in hopes of it being seen before it run over by one of the over-zealous County road plows that travel nonstop at 60 miles per hour. I don't how they can see anything at the speeds they drive when plowing.

Fighting a nasty winter storm with high winds is never a good idea. If you go into a ditch, stay with the vehicle. Don't be a hero and try to walk out for help. That is how people die in severe winter storms.

Posted via email from Dave Richey Outdoors

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them 'on-topic' and cordial. Others besides me read this blog, too. Thanks for your input.