Monday, January 10, 2011

Safe ice and fishing ((Tag: dave,richey,Michigan,outdoors,safe,ice,good,bluegill,&,perch,action,always,use caution)



OK, now. Which on of these little rascals will I try first?

The wind picked up several nights ago as the snow began to fall, and it howled outside our bedroom window like a banshee on the loose. A peek out the window told the story.

The snow was being driven horizontally ahead of a stout west wind. A look at the thermometer showed the temperature at 20 degrees. It was the kind of storm that often dumps 15 inches of snow on us overnight.

The wind blew itself out, and at dawn there was only four inches of snow. The wind had died, and it was down to 18 degrees.

Cold nights without wind are ideal for making good solid ice.


Me and thousands of ice fishermen are keeping our fingers crossed that the temperature will stay cold, and continue to add to the ice thickness. The ice is pretty well  locks in on all but our larger inland lakes. All have some ice but it takes much longer for big lakes to freeze well.

There are so many things I enjoy about ice fishing. One lake that my buddy and I fish for bluegills and perch sits down in a hollow. It has cottages on it but not too many, and woods surrounds much of the lake.

I've sat on my ice sled on many occasions, jigging tiny ice flies and lures baited with wax worms, and listened to the thunderous roar of the occasional gobbler. One day I watched four nice gobblers and some hens walk along the edge of the lake.

The gobblers were thinking it was spring but the hens avoided them. On occasion, one of the bearded birds would rattle off a gobble, more I'm sure, to impress himself than the hens.

Another time I was unhooking a nine-inch bluegill when a coyote stepped out onto the ice. He stopped, studied us, and walked out and approached to within 200 yards, and pulled a tiny bluegill off the ice. He was looking forward to a fish dinner as well.

Geese are a common sight during the winter months if there is any open water nearby. They honk and clamor overhead, circling the lake, hoping to find another spot to settle in. Once the ice begins to freeze, only the larger lakes will have some open water for honkers to use.

Another common sight I've come to expect on a couple of lakes we fish is the sight of one or two bald eagles. They can get rather brazen about  grabbing a free meal from an angler.

Many fishermen lay their fish on the ice, get up and move to a different spot, but we know where our fish are located. I was fishing a new hole about 100 yards from my previous spot, and five or six 'gills lay on the ice. A mature bald eagle flew over my head, touched down on the ice at the other hole, and filched one of my bluegills before flying away.

Deer are a common sight along the shorelines of some lakes if the snow isn't too deep. They walk the shoreline, and look as if they may be searching for food. Perhaps it's just they need a bit of exercise.

We often coyotes, deer, fox and turkeys while ice fishing.


One lake we fish is near farmland, and it's not uncommon to see deer returning from feeding in the open fields just as the sun starts coming up. We see them, they see us, and each of us continues on our designated path. They are heading for thick cover to bed down while we are heading for certain spots that usually produce good sport.

A friend took one look at some of my tip-ups a week or so ago, and commented that my wooden models were old-fashioned. I told him I knew they were, but seldom fish with tip-ups these days. If I decide to do so, the ones I own will get me through the day.

We've waited for the ice to come amd stiffen up, and we get after the 'gills and perch often.

As a matter of fact, I'm looking forward to fishing over the next few days. I keep waiting for my buddy to call, but he fishes on thinner ice than I do. He'll let me know when there is plenty of solid ice.

All my things are packed and ready to go. I'm just a phone call away, and the forecast is for more freezing temperatures. We're set now unless we get a warm-up, but maybe we've already had the thaw.

Time will tell.

Posted via email from Dave Richey Outdoors

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them 'on-topic' and cordial. Others besides me read this blog, too. Thanks for your input.