Friday, November 12, 2010

Choose last-minute firearm stands


It’s not likely but some opening-day bucks may be out in the open.


The forecast for the Nov. 15 firearm deer opener leaves little room for speculation about the weather. As of this writing, it seems to be waffling a bit between rain and snow. If we're unlucky, we may get both.

I seem to find myself wondering whether the weather will clear off or be nasty. If it's going to be sloppy, I want to have a ground blind close to the best bedding cover. I normally don't worry about such things, but I've always played hunches, lived by my gut instinct and wits, and with the promise of inclement weather, I'd just as soon be somewhere that it is reasonably dry.

Two spots come to mind, and both are ideal for a pop-up blind. As distasteful as it is to erect last-minute stands, a  pop-up blind can have a person hunting within five minutes. I plan to put a pop-up blind deep in a pine plantation that is owned by a friend, and it will be positioned downwind of where two major deer trails come together. The deer have to work hard to feed all night because where a standing corn field stood last year, the corn has already been cut.

Up in the air or on the ground?

I plan to be in a tree stand if it is not raining or snowing or in the pop-up blind if it is. The neat thing about a pop-up tent like mine that is made by Eastman Outdoors is that it can be carried in, set up, and a hunter is on the ground and  inside where it is reasonably dry and slightly warmer.

Another spot is in hilly country with rolling ridges. I put up the stand last week, and I eased into the area today to check things out. The tent top was stove in a bit from the wind, but all I had to do is crawl in, push the top up and it popped back up in place. It sits down below a ridge, and two trails cross below the ridge, and it provides a good commanding view of the area. It's located about 150 yards from open croplands, and the deer move through there at dawn and for an hour after.

Choose spots wisely and play the wind.

Both spots, although 10 miles apart, hold good promise and my biggest problem will be to decide which place to hunt. And, like it always happens, my decision will be a last-minute one based on the weather and wind direction. Both locations are best on a west or northwest wind, and if we have snow we'll probably have a northwest wind. If we have rain or rain mixed with snow, the wind will most likely be out of the south, southeast or southwest. This won't affect me too much, but an east wind will be a kiss of death for both spots.

If the wind comes from a southerly direction, I'll be hunting the pines and 150 yards from my friend's house. South is a perfect wind for hunting the pines in my planned area. Whatever the weather brings on Monday, I'll be out there and that's a promise.

If the firearm season is like the bow season, we’ll all need luck.

You know why, other than it being a lengthy tradition? It's the only day of the year when you can hear the sun rise.

Posted via email from Dave Richey Outdoors

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them 'on-topic' and cordial. Others besides me read this blog, too. Thanks for your input.