Monday, November 08, 2010

Buy books for Christmas gifts & shop early


Books like the ones shown here are just an example of some titles available.


I've always been a reader, and when the snow lies deep and heavy and the newspaper isn't delivered on time during the winter, if necessary, I'll read the cereal box while munching on my favorite breakfast flakes.  Besides fishing and hunting, reading is a favorite pastime.

I got stuck once in Galena, Alaska before a moose hunt when my flight couldn't cross the mountains. I'd meant to pick up a novel or two in Anchorage, and was barely able to make my connection. No time to shop for books, and the three days spent in a boarding house at the tune of $250 a day without something to read, nearly drove me nuts.

More people are reading now than in many years. They've given up on the idiotic drivel that passes for television programming, and have gone back to reading which entertains you in your mind through the use of the written word. Don't believe me: check seats on both sides of the aisles on commercial airline flights. Most passengers are reading something.

Shop early for great fishing-hunting books for Christmas gifts.


Which brings me to my shameless self-promotion of Scoop's Books, my website for used and out-of-print or rare books on fishing and hunting. There will be over 400 fishing and hunting titles listed before next weekend, and there are low-priced, mid-range and high-priced books for sale.

I've resisted charging readers to read my daily website, and haven't taken any advertising for the seven years my blog and website has been up, but it takes money to pay the freight. I do this by selling books about fishing and hunting to folks like you who want to learn more about these outdoor persuits, and learning is indeed possible when people read.

There are numerous books about muskie fishing and turkey hunting, two of my specialties, and there are some wonderful buys on trout books, decoy carving, and on many other topics. Many of these books are scarce and expensive, but all are fairly priced.

This listing of 400+ books and some old outdoor magazines comes just in time for Christmas shopping for the angler/hunter in your life. Checking out what is available is only a few keystrokes away.

When you open up my website <www.daverichey.com> you'll come to my Home Page. At the right side of my daily blog is a link to Scoop's Books. Click on my picture, and then click on the fishing and hunting alphabetical book link. The books are listed by last name first, and from A-Z.

Get a 10 percent discount by ordering before Dec. 15. Mention code.


Scroll down through the books or magazines, and the books are listed in alphabetical order according to the author's last name. Each book is accurately described with all necessary information including the book condition and price. People who order books from me must pay with a bank money order (preferable), but I do accept business or personal checks but shipping is delayed until the checks clear my bank.

I advise customers to insure their payment to me  and obtain a delivery confirmation that allows them to track their money, and when books are shipped, I also obtain delivery confirmation, and both parties are protected. Postage fees are $5 for the first book and $3 for each additional title when shipped by Priority Mail. Insurance is extra.

Shipping costs may seem high until you consider the books are insured for full value if paid for in advance, and there is the delivery confirmation which allows shipments to be tracked. Handling sales in this manner is firm proof that I ship what is ordered and paid for.

Here is an alternative to what some may consider high priced books. Pay by bank money order or personal check, and mention my discount code (12-15-10), and I will discount the book price by 10 percent. This does not include postage costs or insurance. The discount is good only through December 15.

Query with me at <dave@daverichey.com> before ordering.


This next step is very important: I advise potential book buyers to query me before ordering at <dave@daverichey.com> to determine if a specific book is still in stock. Often, two or more people order the same book at about the same time, and if it is a one-of-a-kind title, one buyer is satisfied and one is not. A quick email eliminates that problem for both of us, and I'll hold a book for seven days awaiting payment.

Do I handle good books? The answer is yes, but I remind readers that I also offer a free search service for specific titles if they are not in my inventory. Search services are free providing the buyer isn't having other booksellers try to find the same book. Such duplications of effort will make one bookseller happy while ticking off the other sellers.

I try to offer books in the best possible condition, and those conditions (in decreasing order from best to worse) are Mint, Very Fine, Fine, Very Good and Good. I rarely offer such hole-fillers as Fair or Reading Copy, but occasionally a Very Scarce book is offered in these lesser conditions because of their rarity.

I buy books as well, and welcome the chance to consider yours. I prefer buying Fine or better books, and readers can query by giving me the author's name, book title, date of publication, and mention any flaws. I specialize in muskie fishing and turkey hunting books, but cover everything from bass fishing to trout fishing, from antelope to turkey hunting, and almost everything else inbetween.

Keep checking Scoop's Books daily for new additions, and make note of deletions, and let me know if there is a specific fishing or hunting book you need. My books are accurately described and fairly priced.

Books, anyone? Here is your chance to fill Christmas stockings early. Oh, please read the page before the book listings. It is filled with information you should know before ordering. Thanks!

Posted via email from Dave Richey Outdoors

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them 'on-topic' and cordial. Others besides me read this blog, too. Thanks for your input.