Wednesday, June 15, 2011

In The Air Or On The Ground.



Take your pick:up in the air or down on the ground. Both are good.


It's rather odd that people always argue the merits of hunting on the ground or up in a tree. As I see it, making such a decision is a matter of personal choice, and both can be very productive.

The question is put to me many times every year. I'll be talking to a guy, and it's the same old thing.

"Which do you prefer," the questioner goes, "a ground blind or tree stand? And why?"

Get real, and know the differences before making up your mind where to hunt.


Sit me down in a corner, threaten me with the third degree and water boarding, and I'd probably say I prefer hunting from a tree. But then, in fairness to myself and to the person asking the question, I'll note that I also enjoy hunting from a ground blind.

There are many things that dictate where I hunt during the fall. The first, and perhaps most important piece of information I need before making a decision whether to hunt up or down, is this: Where will the buck travel, and what type of stand do I have in that area?

If the buck is moving through thick brush, and will pass within 20 yards of a good tree stand or elevated coop, that will be my choice. It's like trying to decide which I like best -- chocolate cake or ice cream. I like whichever one is handiest.

All bucks like thick cover but they also like wide-open spaces, especially during the rut. If the bucks are moving through the open fields in hot pursuit of an estrus doe, my choice is a ground coop out in the open. Sadly, there are few trees in open fields ub my area, and that leaves either a pit blind or wooden coop on the ground.

My coops have been in place for many years, and the deer have become accustomed to them. I've had countless bucks of all sizes walk within 10 feet of a ground coop, and they seem to pay little attention to it. Part of the reason is the stand has been there for years, and the deer have come to accept its presence. Pop-up tents are good choices for ground hunters.

What are the advantages and disadvantage of either choice?


There are many advantages to hunting from a ground blind. First of all, a hunter would have to try exceptionally hard to fall out of a ground blind, and it the hunter was successful at doing so, there wouldn't be an injury. The same cannot be said for falling from a tree stand.

Another factor in favor of a ground blind is the shot is taken horizontally at a deer, and much can be said for having a buck stand broadside or quartering-away at 15 yards. It offers an easy shot, and ground blinds are wonderful when heavy hunting pressure from tree stands start making deer look up for danger.

There is little noise made when entering a ground blind unless the door has squeaky hinges. A drop of oil on the hinges can silence them. It's possible to walk to a ground blind, and quickly disappear into it, and there is far less noise made when entering one.

Hunting up in the air works well in many locations.


Tree stands offer exciting hunts, and they can be located in thick cover where bucks often chase does. It's possible to stay reasonably high up in a tree, and it can drift human scent far away from your position.  Deer often can be seen for long distances from a tree. A hunter who is quiet and doesn't move, can get easy chances to shoot if the stand is well placed.

That doesn't mean the shots are always easy. Some are easy and some are very difficult, and much depends on the stands’ location. I like my deer 18-20 yards, and this lessens the steep downward angle that arises if a buck is almost directly under your stand.

Steep-angle shots are tough, and there is always a chance of a bad hit. However, although some hunters still think deer never look up, they do. Most hunters who get spotted are seen by a deer as much as 50 to 100 yards away, and they catch a movement while standing deep in brush.

In bitter cold weather, it can be easy to become so cold that fingers and toes lose feeling. A fall is possible under such conditions. We check every elevated coop or tree stand before the season opens to determine if it is structurally sound and safe. Anyone who hunts one of my tree stands must wear a safety harness and know how to use it.

Choosing a ground blind over a tree stand, or vice versa, is a matter of personal choice. Frankly, as long as I am bow hunting, it really doesn't make much difference where I hunt. I'll be in a tree one day and on the ground the next, and both are equally productive. when properly hunted.

Title: In The Air Or On The Ground.

Tags: ((Dave, Richey, Michigan, outdoors, air, ground, hunting, personal, choice, ground, safest, straight-on, shots))

Posted via email from Dave Richey Outdoors

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them 'on-topic' and cordial. Others besides me read this blog, too. Thanks for your input.