Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Answering some reader questions


Writing a daily weblog is like writing a newspaper column every single day. There are lots of things to write about, but without some reader input, it's impossible to tell whether I'm touching all the fishing and hunting bases or not.

I'm been keeping a list of questions readers have sent in for just such an occasion as this. Lots of people write and say I'm doing a good job, which is my daily effort, but it also helps to know what really turns your crank. Here are several notes from readers that may be of interest.

Recommend my website to your family, friends, neighbors and relatives.

Mind you, most of my readers are completely unknown to me. In some cases I know them, and in most other cases I do not. I know where only a few of my readers live, so for the most part, I respond to first-names only in this blog.

*Ralph wrote, saying he enjoyed my blogs and features on deer hunting, and wanted to know if I'll be doing more deer stuff this fall.

The answer is yes. I've written three books on deer hunting and hundreds of magazine articles, and the how-to and why-to stories will continue to flow. There are many topics I haven't covered although I've been at writing blogs for seven years. Lots of good stuff is coming.

*Pete wrote to say he doesn't own a boat, and must fish from shore, and he whipped up on me a bit for not writing more about carp and catfish fishing.

I told him I realize many people don't own a boat, but advised him that I've written a number of blogs on catch catfish and the "golden bonefish" -- better known as carp pieces. Even though many anglers don't fish for these rough fish, I know it is important to some readers. Keep reading, and realize that you can scroll back to Day One to read my blogs if you wish to read that much stuff just to find a carp story.

I try to help people find new fishing and hunting locations.

*Mike sent compliments on my blogs and features on bow, firearm and muzzleloader hunting, and wants more. It would be easy to write daily about hunting whitetail deer, but in fairness to all, deer and deer hunting is covered heavily in season. There is much more solid information coming in the months to come. Read it daily to stay current.

*Buzz wrote about one of my earliest stories about me and another man catching 100 steelhead in a day. He didn't believe it, as much as called me a liar, and I've never heard from him again.

The story was 100 percent true. Of the 100 steelies we landed, only one was kept because it sucked the fly deep into its gills, and was bleeding heavily. It was a small male and I kept it. This action happened about 20 years ago, and as God is my witness, it was true. It was one of those days when everything fell together: no other fishermen on the river, a fresh run of mint-silver fish, and brutally cold temperatures. We'd roll a fly through the hole, and the fish were on it instantly and they kept coming, a dozen at a time, and it was a memorable day.

*Jim wrote and asked for more stories from the Upper Peninsula. He says he does it all but doesn't read much about some of my Upper Peninsula trips. I promised I'd try to do more in the future, but I'm a one-man band, and it's impossible to be everywhere.

*I've heard from numerous budding outdoor writers. One, named Charlie who lives in Wisconsin, wants to get into writing. He wanted to know whether to jump head-first into outdoor writing and photograph, or free-lance on a part-time basis.

I’ve mentored many budding outdoor writers.

He is a teacher, and has written one story that I've read. I made several suggestions, and asked him to cut it back to 750 to 800 words and I'd run it. I'll run a story by anyone if it deals with fishing or hunting in Michigan, or in Charlie's case, bear hunting, which also is done in this state, and I haven't seen his shortened version. I don't have time for much editing, and if a story is good and meets my needs, I'll run it. If it is bad, I won't run it. Budding outdoor writers: try me but email  first.

*Richard ordered a book I had for sale, but failed to email me first to determine if the book was still available. He was upset when he learned the book had been sold earlier that day.

As nicely as I could, I told him that one of the great features of the internet is it allows almost instant communication. Any reader who finds a book they want on my Scoop's Books, should contact me to determine if the book or item is still available. Books are sold on a first-come basis, and I've began taking orders for books that people are trying to find. If I find a nice copy, I let them know, but this requires both parties to be on the same page.

Touch base with me on occasion, if for no other reason than to say hello and ask how is fishing. Communicate with me. Writing is a lonely business, and readers who have questions or would like to see a story on a specific subject, can serve their own purpose by touching base. Go to < dave@daverichey.com > and I'll answer as quickly as possible.

Keep reading, and enjoy the outdoors responsibly. -- Dave

Posted via email from Dave Richey Outdoors

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them 'on-topic' and cordial. Others besides me read this blog, too. Thanks for your input.