Monday, January 25, 2010

The Day My World Went Flip-Flop

My world was turned upside down four years ago at just about this time of year. The National Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame in Hayward, Wisconsin, sent me a letter stating I had been inducted into the Hall of Fame as a Legendary Communicator.

It hit me like a runaway 18-wheeler. One moment lunch was being eaten while reading the mail, and all of a sudden I felt like a two-by-four had been cracked over my head to grab my attention.

My speech was a low sputter as I read it the second time, and my wife and father were looking at me as if something incredible had happened. They weren't too far off the mark.

The words "Legendary Communicator" didn't exactly roll off my tongue. Never thought of myself quite that way, and never considered myself legendary in any regard.

The letter of induction was handed to my wife and father to read while I struggled to organize my thoughts. It was difficult because my whole career has been dedicated to writing quality outdoor copy for my readers. And now, this award about blew me out of my chair because my hard work had been acknowledged by a famous group.

I find my book collection a key part of my professional life.

It put me in a class with many of those people who have had a long-term effect on my writing career and my years of guiding river fishermen that began back in 1967. Forty years had passed, and other wonderful awards have come my way, and all were unexpected ... just like this one. Now, looking back over my 44-year career. it seems incredible that the times has passed so fast.

Many years ago, one of my favorite writers was Ted Trueblood, and I was perhaps the last writer to have talked with him before he committed suicide. He had incurable cancer, and we spoke about 10 days before he shot himself.

A number of good friends have been inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Two of the inductees with me were very important. Erwin A. "Joe" Bauer was perhaps the most prolific book author and magazine writer-photographer in the history of outdoor writing. He and I had worked together a good bit 25 years ago. He was a kind and gentle man, who deeply loved the outdoors. He also was one of the most humble of men I've had the pleasure of meeting.

Corey Ford was a favorite in Field & Stream 50 years ago, and I always read his column first. Men like Ed Zern preceded me into this prestigious position, and the legendary A.J. McClane, Field & Stream's former fishing editor, was a member of this rather elite group. So, too, was Ray Bergman and Joe Brooks, both of whom toiled as Outdoor Life's Fishing Editor for many years.

These are men who, in one way or another, stirred my imagination and thought processes as a youngster. All, in their indelible way, had left their mark on me at a teenager and as an adult.

There were so many others. O.W. Smith wrote several books but his "Book Of The Pike" is a classic. He built into me a desire to catch a big northern pike, and years ago Babe Winkelman (also in the Hall of Fame) and I tried to crack the 30-pound mark. I wound up with a 29-pounder as my heaviest, but I'd hooked and lost a couple of 30-pounders in northern Saskatchewan.

Al Lindner of Brainerd, Minnesota, also is in this prestigious group. I've known Al and Ron formore than 30 years, but have never fished with either one.

Larry Ramsell, my muskie guru and friend, is a member.

My old friend, Larry Ramsell of Hayward, Wisconsin, is a walking encyclopedia on muskie fishing. His book "A Compendium Of Muskie Angling History" is an important work on the topic, and it was recently reprinted. I'm looking to buy one of his 1982 editions of that book. He's also in the Hall as well.

Longtime friends like Bill Dance, Jimmy Houston, Mark Sosin and the late Billy Westmoreland are members. Dr. Howard Tanner, he of the coho and Chinook salmon plantings in the mid-1960s, also was inducted. My longtime friend, Stan Lievense of Traverse City, was inducted many years ago.

Charterboat skippers Jim Bennett, Emil Dean, and Bud Raskey, all of the Manistee area, are in the Hall of Fame, and deservedly so.

My old pal, Homer LeBlanc of St. Clair Shores, was inducted long before his death. Uncle Homer, as many local anglers called him, was the man who pioneered muskie fishing in Lake St. Clair. He devised trolling methods over 50 years ago that are still being used today.

Muskie pro's -- Homer LeBlanc and Bob Brunner -- have been inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Eighty-seven-year-old Bob Brunner of Utica was made a Legendary Guide a few years ago, and we've fished together. Bob is perhaps the oldest guide of any kind in the state of Michigan, and he also is a book author.

There are more, so many more people, who had a lasting affect on my angling career. In many cases, I wanted to be like Joe Brooks, Corey Ford, and all the others. I wanted to make my living the same way they did, and I admired each and every one of these men, and the many others who were not mentioned, for offering me inspiration when it was needed.

In one way or another, all have had a lasting effect on my life and career. They taught me much of what they knew, but they also gave me something else more precious than a fleeting taste of fame.

Dave Richey steelhead fishing from a river boat about 20 years ago.

They taught me how to be humble. My career, in large measure, came about because of their tireless efforts. They led the way, and I hope that in some small way, I can inspire others who follow to aspire to great outdoor writing. The world needs more great fishing writers to inflame the thoughts of youngster as those people named above did to me many years ago.

Fishing will only remain desirable as long a outdoor writers write well-chosen words that people want to read. Those words must entertain and inform readers, and as was  true with me, will catch one little spark that will ignite a whole new world involving fresh water and game fish for new anglers. It's this that will keep the passion of fishing alive now and long into the future.

Posted via email from Dave Richey Outdoors

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them 'on-topic' and cordial. Others besides me read this blog, too. Thanks for your input.