Tuesday, December 22, 2009

What To Do During The Winter

Many hunters lose their deer-hunting focus during the winter months. It's easy enough to do with ice fishing, getting past the holidays, and getting ready for Income Tax Day. That day is not fun to look forward to, and I refuse to worry about it nowr.

So, what can sportsmen do during the winter months that will keep them somewhat wired for the upcoming deer season next October? There are countless things to occupy your time as we count down the remaining days of this deer season, and I'll add some others. I'm sure you can think of many others to help keep you motivated.

Most of us are just getting all of our gear stowed away from this hunting season. Now is one of the best times to check over our equipment and make certain it will be in fine condition next fall.

The first thing to do is to check if the bow string shows any fraying on the serving or around the ends where they attach to the bow. A frayed string or serving should be replaced. If the string and serving looks fine, a coating of bow string wax will help keep it in good shape.

Anything used during deer season should be checked.

It pays to check for anything loose on the bow. Unless a bow is dropped or the bottom limb hits something when a shot is taken, it should be fine. If you have a red-dot sight, check now to see if it is turned off. You can remove the battery if you wish, wrap it in Saran Wrap, and tape it to the bow handle.

Some people let off the poundage on their bow before it is stored, but not me. I shoot my bow almost every day, and it would be a hassle cranking the poundage up and down. I leave it set at my normal hunting draw weight, and it keeps me in tune through constant shooting.

A release requires very little care. Just store it in your bow case or in a drawer where it can be easily found whenever you shoot.

Boots and clothing need to be replaced when necessary. I like to get my clothing washed and put away, and I've been wearing the same set of coveralls for several years. Pulling them on is something that just feels right. People ask when I'm going to get new coveralls, and I tell them that my present clothing is good for another 10 years.

Anything to do with tree stands should be checked prior to storage.

Hunters should check their tree stands, and make certain that all nuts and bold, straps or chains, are present and a tough plastic bag with all parts is duct taped to the stand so none of the parts go missing during the winter. Make certain that safety harnesses are checked before being stored for winter.

Many people carry a backpack with little odds and ends inside that may come in handy. Check it now, and replace whatever is missing, and it will be ready to go hunting when you are. I sometimes take a good flashlight with me on a hunt, and it is usually set aside for use during the off-season.

I seldom carry much with me into the field. My binoculars, bow, quiver, arrows and a flashlight is about it. In December, if the temperature is cold, I will carry a little heater that runs off a small bottle of propane. It gives off just enough heat to take the chill off my hands before a shot.

I often take a walk here and there. I check tracks in the snow in midwinter, and I make it my business to know what is happening on my ranch. I like to know what trails are being used most often during the winter, and I do the same thing during the spring and summer.

Glassing the open fields and woods often reveal where deer are bedding down if the weather is decent. If the weather turns bad, I know they will be in heavier cover but I want to know which patch of heavy cover holds the most deer.  Binoculars or a spotting scope are handy for checking areas without having to walk around too much near the bedding or feeding areas.

Watch for coyotes when making last-minute gear checks.

I spend some totes when making last-minute checks of hunting gear.ime looking for coyotes, and often have my .264 Winchester Magnum rifle with me at the time. I've taken plenty of coyotes during the winter, and it helps keep the predation of young deer to a minimum.

If I see crows or turkey buzzards circling, or occasionally an eagle, I go to check the situation. A young deer may have died or been pulled down by coyotes, or a big buck may have been gored and died after a fight with another big buck. All bear investigation.

Winter is just a temporary inconvenience. It gives me time to pursue things that were impossible to do during hunting season. But ... I'm always thinking about the upcoming deer season.

It's those thoughts of next fall that give me the greatest pleasure of all.

Posted via email from Dave Richey Outdoors

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them 'on-topic' and cordial. Others besides me read this blog, too. Thanks for your input.